It is not recommended to neglect your landscape during the winter months. While some plants and trees may become dormant during this time, they still require proper care and maintenance to ensure they are protected from damage and are prepared for the upcoming growing season.
Top 6 reasons to not ignore your landscape during the winter months:
- Protection from damage: Winter weather can be harsh, and neglecting your landscape can result in damage to plants, trees, and other features. Regular maintenance can help protect your landscape from damage caused by heavy snow, ice, and freezing temperatures.
- Pest and disease control: Pests and diseases can continue to be a problem during winter, and neglecting your landscape can make it more susceptible to infestations. Regular maintenance can help identify and address any potential issues.
- Proper irrigation: Irrigation systems should be winterized to prevent damage from freezing temperatures. Neglecting to do so can result in costly repairs.
- Maintaining curb appeal: Your landscape is often the first thing people see when visiting your property or driving by. Neglecting it during the winter can make your property look unkempt and uninviting.
- Planning: Winter is a great time to plan for spring and summer landscaping projects. By assessing your landscape during the winter, you can identify areas that need attention and make plans for improvements.
- Safety: Neglected landscapes can pose hazards for pedestrians and vehicles. Clear walkways and driveways of snow and ice, and ensure that tree branches that may fall in strong winds or heavy snow are trimmed.
Overall, neglecting your landscape during the winter can lead to damage, increased costs, safety hazards, and a lack of aesthetic appeal; it is essential to maintain it properly to ensure it remains healthy, safe, and beautiful all year round.