The Benefits of Grasscycling
4 Reasons to Consider Grasscycling
During the process of lawn mowing, it was common for the people taking care of the lawn to collect the grass clippings that were a result of mowing and throw them away. In recent times, people have embraced leaving the clippings behind to fertilize the grass or using the clippings as compost, both these practices known as grasscycling. Learn more about the benefits that leaving behind clippings create for your yard.
Feeds Nutrients Back Into the Soil
Perhaps the main benefit behind grasscycling is how you can use it as a light form of fertilizer. Typical grass clippings contain some fertilizing components, such as potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus. Through grasscycling, the nutrients return to the soil, and can cut back on fertilizer use up to 25%.
Keeps Plants Hydrated
Most grass clippings tend to have plenty of moisture in them, sometimes being composed up to 90% water. When you leave the clippings behind, you maintain the moisture of the grass. The remaining 10% of the clippings is biodegradable, which means you don’t have to worry about leaving any waste in the yard.
Saves Time and Money
Grasscycling spares homeowners the extra expense and effort of throwing them away. You can simply leave these pieces behind after mowing your lawn and move on to other important parts of your lawn care, rather than lose precious time picking them up or bagging them. You’ll also reduce the expense of bags and other equipment needed to retrieve the clippings, as well as fertilizer.
Reduces Landfill Use
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, up to 18% of the content in landfills is yard waste, such as grass clippings, branches, leaves, and other plant material. In the 1960s, this percent was as high as 22.8%, and the practice of grasscycling has reduced the number over the years.
An act as simple as leaving behind the grass clippings from mowing the lawn can significantly improve your lawn, as well as your efficiency in lawn care. Complement your grasscycling with traditional fertilizing and proper lawn mowing techniques to keep your lawn in optimal condition.